Setting up a Thermal Printer for Receipt Printing
2 types of thermal printers are available in the market:
- Thermal Line Printers. (Supported after UltimatePOS version > 2.19): Easy to Install & Use.
- Thermal ESC/POS printers: Complicate to install & use, also some languages & curriences symbol may not be supported.
Browser-based printing or Thermal Line Printers or Direct Thermal: (Recommended)
Thermal line printers also called as Direct Thermal, are easy to install & use. Also they supports browser based printing. For better result use paper with width 79mm.
To use a thermal line printer follow these steps:
- Setup the printer on your computer with the appropriate driver which comes with the printer.
- Go to Settings -> Business Locations -> Settings (green color button for each location). Here change the Receipt Printer Type to Browser based printing and save it.
- In the invoice layout select the Design as Slim
- To disable print dialogue preview, follow the steps mentioned here
You’re now ready to use the printer, no more steps required.
Thermal ESC/POS printers:
Setting an ESC/POS thermal printer involves 3 steps:
- Adding a Printer
- Configuring business location to use the added printer.
- Installation Pos Print server.
Step1: Adding a Printer
- Add a new printer from Settings -> Receipt Printer
- Select the appropriate Connection Type:
- For “Network” provide the IP Address of the printer.
- For “Windows” map the printer to a file and provide the path of the file. You can do this by sharing the printer with your localhost.
The path will be in this format:smb://localhost/my_printer_nameORsmb://computer_name/my_printer_name (where my_printer_name is name of the printer)
- Select the capability profile and add character per line supported in the printer.
- Save the Printer configuration.
Step2: Configuring Business Location to use printer:
- Go to Settings -> Business Settings.
- For a particular business location, go to “Settings” in actions column.
- Change “Receipt Printer Type” to “Use Configured Receipt Printer“
- Select the “Receipt Printers” from the list of Receipt Printers
- Click on Update.
Many thermal receipt printers support ESC/POS to some degree. This driver has been known to work with:
EPOS TEP 22
Epson TM-U295 (requires release() to release slip).
Epson TM-U59 and TM-U59
Equal (EQ-IT-1) POS-58
SEYPOS PRP-3 (Also marketed as TYSSO PRP-3
Zjiang ZJ-589T (Marketed as POS 589T)